May 26, 2022
Increasing temperatures signal the start of the season for home improvement projects.
Even though most local contractors are reputable and do fantastic work, this season also brings out scammers. You should do your homework before hiring any contractor.
Here are some tips from the Ohio Attorney General's Office to protect yourself from scams and unscrupulous contractors:
- Check references, customer feedback, and past work before hiring
- Get multiple written estimates from different contractors
- Ensure they are licensed, certified and insured
- Pay in increments rather than making a large down payment
- Don't pay in cash
- Make sure all promises are in writing
- Avoid contractors who want payment made out to them personally instead of a company